Friday, December 28, 2007

Delta Skymiles Medallion Bonus

I realized yesterday that I was about $2,000 shy of earning the 10,000 Skymiles bonus for spending $25,000 on my American Express card in 2007. I put almost everything I can on the card and pay it off every month. Like the commercials say…double skymiles for groceries, gasoline, drug stores, etc. I made a strategic decision to accelerate my final cruise payment which was not due until February 1, 2008 for my April cruise and to also go ahead and buy the plane tickets. That leaves me just $437 shy of the spending threshold. For those of you not familiar with the Delta Skymiles program, Medallion miles help you earn silver, gold, or platinum status. Usually the only way to earn Medallion miles is to fly with a few exceptions and one of them being the $25,000 per year spent on a Delta Skymiles Amex card. I earned the 10,000 for 2006 but in retrospect I only got to silver status as I am less than 5,000 miles frm the coveted gold status which would allow me to use the shorter security line. Anyway I am currently trying to think of anything that I know that I would spend money on anyway so I can spend it before December 31st. I don’t want to spend money just to spend it. That is not the point. I don’t want to waste money and go into debt for things I don’t need. I know that I am going to purchase tax software for about $60, groceries for $60, a heating pad for $35. I know this just sounds crazy but the Medallion miles are valuable.

No comments: