Saturday, January 19, 2008

Compact fluorescent light bulbs

According to the Energy Star website


"If every American home replaced just one light bulb with an ENERGY STARqualified bulb, we would save enough energy to light more than 3 million homes for a year, more than $600 million in annual energy costs, and prevent greenhouse gases equivalent to the emissions of more than 800,000 cars."


In my own home I have replaced 10 regular light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs. I am sure that i am not only saving energy but I am also saving time by not having to replace the light bulbs as often. My experience has been that the compact fluorescent bulbs last at least 5 times longer and probably even more than that. I use the equivalent of 60 watt bulbs in my home but they come with a variety of light outputs. I expect that these bulbs will become even more popular as the price of energy rises. These bulbs are more expensive than regular incandescent bulbs but the energy cost savings is worth it to me. A compact fluorescent bulb will run you around $3.50-$4.00 in comparison to an incandescent bulb costing 50 cents.



No comments: