Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Are we headed for a recession or already in one?

The news is so mixed on this subject. Economists say we are not in a recession but the average American is feeling it. As for myself, I feel a general unease about the price of gas, the housing market, and job losses. I feel my own job is not at risk but that does not put me out of the woods.

The stock market has been very rough the past week and I am not hearing anything positive in the news. I do know that I need to buckle down and save more for a rainy day. I don't have any revolving credit card debt but without an adequate emergency fund that could change in an instant.

I think most Americans are feeling the unease that I feel. I drove my car to work today but I have been riding the train once or twice a week to save gas. CNN has an article on their website today discussing how more people are using public transportation at anytime since 1957. The $75 a month I budget for gas will now only let me fill up less than 1.5 times per month.

No comments: