Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My current living arrangements

I have been dating someone for several months now and at the present we spend most every night together if we are not traveling for work. Basically, I spend my time at her house for a variety of reasons and I am fine with that. I am still having to pay a mortgage and utilities at my own place though. I have raised the thermostat and unplugged the televisions to save electricity.

The plan is to eventually move in together in 8 months or so. I am going to have to sell my townhouse and I will probably take a loss on the sale. I am fine with that because once I do sell my place and start paying half of her mortgage my housing costs will decrease about $1,200 per month not including utilities. It will take my about a year to recoup a $15,000 loss at that rate.

I am keeping my fingers crossed with the housing crisis. My townhouse is in a historic neighborhood close to downtown and that should be a plus with the price of gas. I am able to take the train to downtown from where my girlfriend lives and that is a really good thing with $4.00 gas. I am thinking about canceling my monthly parking which should save me the $110 monthly parking fees less the daily cost of parking at $4.00 a day if I drive. The train cost $3.50 round-trip. I have to admit I have gottne spoiled with the in-out priveledges of the monthly parkers.

No comments: